Friday 18 April 2014

Cinnamon Swirl Rolls || Recipe/Review


I am a huge fan when it comes to cinnamon swirls (or any cake/pastry cinnamon delight for that matter) and thought it was about time I gave making them a go. After scouring the internet for a non-complicated delicious looking recipe, I came across the 'Easy Cinnamon Rolls (from scratch)' from Sally's Baking Addiction. Sally has hundreds of tasty looking recipes on her site and so many good reviews so I knew that this was going to be the recipe I chose. 


The Method?
It's really easy to follow and is very similar to a bread recipe. It follows the normal steps of mixing the dry ingredients, combining the wet and then kneading it and leaving it to rise. I however, put it all in the bread maker on the 'basic dough' setting, meaning that I could leave it to do it's thing and save myself some time. After this, I tipped it into a lightly oiled bowl and left it in a warm place (on top of the Aga for me) for around 10minutes whilst I made the cinnamon filling. I then rolled the dough out, spread the cinnamon filling, rolled it up and cut it into pieces. It then sat back on the Aga with tin foil loosely covering it for 70minutes until they had doubled in size (see below).
Sally also mentions that you might not need all the flour, I however found that I did. To start with I put less flour in the mix just in case, but when I took it out of the breadmaker I found it quick sticky so ended up adding the rest of the flour to it.


The Result?
For a first-attempt homemade cinnamon bun, I was pretty impressed. They tasted delicious and they're weren't overly sweet. I did play with the ingredients slightly I must add - I substituted half of the plain/all-purpose flour for some gluten free bread flour I had kicking around. This unfortunately made the overall result a little crumbly but it didn't affect the flavour at all and it certainly wasn't a disaster. Next time I make it (and there will be a next time) I will be following the recipe completely to make sure I get the best results. If you have a bread maker and want to save yourself some time, I would definitely recommend whacking it all in there as it takes the hard work out for you and still leaves you with a great result!

Let me know if you guys give it a go - I love seeing if people have and hopefully you enjoy them just as much (or more if you stick the the recipe) ;) as I did!

Love,
Harriet xo


No comments :

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments and replying to them so feel free to leave a little note down below and I'll get back to you asap :) xo