Sunday 16 March 2014

The Healthy Pancake


I love pancakes - who doesn’t - and am always interested in new tasty recipes and giving them a whirl, so when I stumbled across this one on Bloglovin, I just had to give it a go. It's not your everyday pancake mix due to there being no flour but oatmeal instead (I just used standard porridge oats) and oh-my it's a good find.

The recipe itself comes from Sophie's Sweeties and contains ingredients such as Greek yogurt and cinnamon and doesn't require any oil in the pan - not only reducing cooking smells but meaning it's much healthier! Now I don't really see normal pancake mixes, such as the one I made for Pancake Day here as 'unhealthy', but more the toppings you have. For my topping, I just went for the standard maple syrup and banana (all time fave) which I felt really complemented the subtle cinnamon taste and twang from the yogurt coming through. However, the fact that this has oats in means that it should, in theory, make you feel fuller for longer - always a bonus if it can help you avoid the tempting mid-morning biscuit! 

The recipe uses American measurements in the form of cups, so I thought that it would be easier if I just converted them down below for you. This recipe makes 3 decently sized pancakes for one person (or more if you only have one!) and is the perfect breakfast to sustain you throughout the morning. You will need: 

57g Oatmeal / oats
57g Greek Yogurt
2 Egg whites (or you can just use 2 small eggs like I did)
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
Pinch Salt
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 tablespoon Milk

I then added a teaspoon of ground almonds and a sprinkling of almond flakes, but you can use what ever takes your fancy. [American measurements and original recipe here]


Have you got any other quirky and different pancake recipes? Let me know in the comments below - enjoy :) 

Love,
Harriet xo


2 comments :

  1. Can you make the batter ahead of time or will it get thick the way normal pancake batter does? (I'm thinking of making the batter the night before and leaving it in the fridge to cook in the morning).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it before but I'm sure it will be okay if you mix everything together the night before ( apart for the oats) then in the morning all you have to do is add the oats :) That way you'll save a lot of time!

      Delete

I love reading all your comments and replying to them so feel free to leave a little note down below and I'll get back to you asap :) xo