Sunday 30 March 2014

Pistachio and Vanilla Cake


Today is not only Mother’s Day but my Grandma’s birthday too, which of course meant cake – and an impressive one at that! After scouring the internet in search of the perfect recipe I found this one here from the BBC Good Food website which intrigued me for sure. Now when it comes to special occasions, I always like to push the boat out on the flavour and look of the cake and this one definitely ticked all the boxes - scrumptious, light and extremely inviting. The flavour of this is pistachio - as you can probably tell from the title ;) - and vanilla with a sweet cream cheese filling which is perfect for the warmer weather we've been having.


Making the cake is pretty easy, but the method provided on their website is a little confusing! I recommend you to:
1. Cream the butter and the sugar
2. Once combined, whisk in the egg little by little
3. Lastly add the flour, baking powder, ground pistachio and finally the milk and whisk until it's a smooth batter

To start with, I made the cake using their method to make two of the layers, but didn't find that the height was impressive enough. I then halved the quantities and used my usual method (stated above) to make a third tear and found that it gave the cake a lighter texture.
Note: for the filling definitely use full-fat cream cheese as the light version causes it to be quite runny in consistency, and therefore doesn't really support the weight of the cake. The topping is also quite tricky to cut through so many be a better idea to spread some of the filling on top, then sprinkle with pistachios.

The flavour of this cake is delicious, with the cream cheese filling really complimenting the flavour of the pistachio. I would definitely recommend this cake as it's nice to have something a little different from the usual vanilla or chocolate cake (as much as I love them) and is just as easy to make!

Hope you guys give it a try and like it just as much as my family, cousins and I did! :)

Love,
Harriet xo

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments and replying to them so feel free to leave a little note down below and I'll get back to you asap :) xo